Wake on Lan (WOL)
Wake on LAN
WOL WITH STREAM DECK
With the Stream Deck Wake on LAN plugin you can wake up and start your switched off devices (NAS, Computer, Server, Printer, ...) via Network Broadcast Message (Magic Packet).
You can save a lot of energy with the app, since you only switch on the devices via LAN when you really need them.
In order to be able to use Wake on LAN (WOL), the motherboard, network card and BIOS must support APM (Advanced Power Management) or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) the WOL standard.
The network card waits for a so-called magic packet (AMD's trademark), upon receipt of which the computer is switched on.
- DOWNLOAD Where can I download the Stream Deck Plugin?
- PLUGIN How does the Stream Deck Plugin works?
- WAKE-ON-LAN What is Wake on LAN (WOL)?
- WOL.EXE How does the CLI WOL.EXE work?
- WOL ACTIVATE Where and how can WOL be activated?
- NAS Practical example power on the NAS
- MAC/IP Where can i get the MAC/IP address from?
- RELEASE NOTES Version History
- LICENSE End User License Agreement
Where can I download the Stream Deck Plugin?
Stream Deck Open your Stream Deck Software and go to the Stream Deck StoreIn Market Place Search for
Wake on LAN (WOL)
Alternative Download native CLI WOL.exe for Windows (Stand Alone Portable)
How does the Stream Deck Plugin works?
The plugin passes the parameters to the integrated WOL.exe, which carries out the Wake on LAN process independently of the Stream Deck.
Independent of the WOL Command Line Process, the plugin itself checks via ping to the IP address when starting the Stream Deck and when pressing the button whether the device can be reached. Depending on availability, the icon status is changed.
What is Wake on LAN (WOL)?
Wake-on-LAN (WoL or WOL) is an Ethernet or Token Ring computer networking standard that allows a computer to be turned on or awakened by a network message (magic packet).
The message is usually sent to the target computer by a program executed on a device connected to the same local area network. It is also possible to initiate the message from another network by using subnet directed broadcasts or a WoL gateway service.
The magic packet is a frame that is most often sent as a broadcast and that contains anywhere within its payload 6 bytes of all 255 (FF FF FF FF FF FF in hexadecimal), followed by sixteen repetitions of the target computer's 48-bit MAC address, for a total of 102 bytes.
- NAS Network Attached Storage Wake-Up Call from Standby/powerOFF via Wake on LAN WOL Magic Packet
- Computer/Server Wake-Up Call from Standby/powerOFF via Wake on LAN WOL Magic Packet
- Printer Wake-Up Call from Standby/powerOFF via Wake on LAN WOL Magic Packet
- Smart TV Wake-Up Call from Standby/powerOFF via Wake on LAN WOL Magic Packet
More Information Wikipedia Wake-on-LAN
How does the CLI WOL.EXE work?In the Stream Deck Plugin these parameters are controlled via the interface.
The wol.exe is a CLI command line based application. The wake-up process can be monitored with various parameters and controlled with additional events.
Important File paths must always be in quotation marks
/? show help -minimized console window starts minimized -mac MAC address required field -port optional port default:2304 -ip IPv4 optional ping loop -sound wake up sound mp3 file for successfull ping sound -autoclose close console window after successfull ping -execute execute file after after successfull ping -exepara optional execute parameter -exewait optional wait time before execute milliseconds (2000 = 2sec)
wol.exe -mac 01:02:03:04:05:06 -ip 127.0.0.1 -sound default -execute "explorer.exe" -exepara "c:\temp\\" -exewait 5000
Where and how can WOL be activated?
Depending on the device, the WOL mode must be switched on differently
Windows Device Manager > Network Adapters Properties > Power Management
- Shutdown Wake On Lan = enabled
- Wake on Magic Packet = enabled
- Wake on pattern match = enabled
- WakeUp on ARP/PING = enabled
- Wake on Magic Packet from power off state = enabled
- Wake Up Capabilities = Magic Packet
- Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power = checked
- Allow this device to wake the computer = checked
- Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer = checked
- Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby = checked
- Green ethernet = disabled
- Wakeup on Lan = enabled
- S5 Wake on Lan = enabled (HP)
- Wake on Lan from S5 = enabled (AMI)
- Resume by PCI-E device = enabled
- Power on by PCI-E/PCI = enabled
- Remote Wake Up = enabled
- WOL(PME#) From Soft Off = enabled (Biostar)
- Resume By PCI/PCI-E/Lan PME = enabled (ECS)
- EuP 2013 = disabled
Practical example power on the NAS
Practical example: Your NAS is switched off and is switched on via WOL
- With the WOL app you can wake up and boot your NAS via the MAC address
- You also enter your IP address of your NAS via the IP parameter, the WOL App then pings the NAS until it can be reached
- As soon as the NAS has started up
- You can use the execute parameter to automatically call up explorer and a directory on your NAS, for example
Where can i get the MAC/IP address from?
With one of the two Free IP Scan Sniffers you can search your Network for all Devices
- open Windows CMD/Command Line write: ipconfig /all
- Initial Release
© COPYRIGHT VIVRE-MOTION LICENSEPermission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Terms of Service